Our Dog Shelter
We are very proud of our dog shelter in the mountains near Gocek. Built entirely from the kind donations of our major sponsors the shelter replaced our old shelter in 2016. It is home to around 230 dogs at any one time and we employ 3 staff to look after the animals in our care together with help and management from volunteers of the Association.
We have special quarantine areas to care for any animals that are sick. The shelter is spacious with kennel space for all the dogs and plenty of room for them to play and exercise each day.
We do need to have a continuous programme of maintenance to keep the shelter to the standards we set ourselves and this needs money, this is where a great deal of your generous donations are spent.
Visitors are welcome, particularly on a Saturday morning when we invite anyone to come and join us walking the dogs along some beautiful mountain trails. Please contact us if you would like to visit.
- We re-home over 100 dogs each year
- There is a big shortage of re-homable dogs in shelters in Germany and Holland
- We have many many suitable re-homable dogs in our shelter here in Turkey
- The new owners cover the costs of moving the dogs from Turkey to Germany and Holland
- All dogs are carefully assessed for their suitability to be re-homed.
- empathy with other dogs
- empathy with humans and children
- attitude to cats
- ability to travel in a car
- ability to walk on a lead
- Dogs are health checked, vaccinated, neutered and chipped before travelling
- Dogs are escorted by a flight volunteer when flying
- Future homes and owners are vetted for suitability
Gocek’s Street Animals
Our volunteers feed and care for many cats living on the streets of Gocek every day. We regularly trap cats and get them spayed or neutered to try and control the numbers of unwanted animals in the community.
We keep an eye out for sick and injured street animals and do our best to ensure they receive veterinary treatment.
There are relatively few street dogs in Gocek but the ones we have are monitored for good health and the need for sterilising and vaccinating
Street dogs that are perceived to be a nuisance are often taken to our dog shelter for re-homing.
Many animals are dumped on the streets of Gocek by neighbouring organisations to pass on the responsibility of those animals to us.
We try to assist and educate those who need help with their animals in the local community with the aim of improving harmony between humans and animals in Gocek.